Monday, February 16, 2009

What can HIS do?

Not to be too pessimistic, but I think not everyone can do something like the two Indian woman in the Opinion Column "Yes, They Could. So They Did." due to many reasons. Nevertheless, I really appreciate the work that the two Indian women had done. I think it is very courageous for two women to travel around India by the electric car and to teach people about their climate-change project.

As an individual, it's hard for me, a high school student, to make really significant changes in the community. To be honest, I don't have much to think about changing the world on my own because I'm busy being a student. I don't have much technical knowledge on how to make a solar energy car. All I can do is to turn off the lights, use less water when showering or brushing my teeth, or these kind of little steps to save energy. I also remind my friends and family members to do these kind of simple steps to save energy consumption.

As a school, we definitely can do more than just turning of the lights. I liked the greening roof-top plan that the 10th graders came up with few months ago. Yet, the plan was canceled because budget problem. I am also thinking about putting solar energy panels on the roof top and on the windows and then we can make use of the solar energy we collected. However, the solar-energy system must be quite expensive. Therefore, I think the first step the school can do is to come up with a proposal of our greening-plan, and send it to Hsinchu City government. I think the mayor would be willing to support our plan by providing financial aid.

No comments: